The Open Training College
Open Training College (OTC) is a division of St. Michael’s House providing training for staff and managers throughout Ireland working in the field of disability and the wider non-profit/voluntary/human services sectors.The
Delivering education and training solutions to the health sector for over 30 years, the OTC offers a range of Further Education and Higher Education courses up to honours degree level.
The OTC provides students with options to acquire qualifications on a part-time basis through distance education, skills workshops/seminars, one-to-one tutorials and many more resources supported by a virtual learning environment, MyOTC.
We help people to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to deliver better services.
Further Education and Higher Education Courses
The College is unique in that all its courses are designed and structured to reflect the needs of staff working in the area of disability or the wider human services sector enabling them to acquire new skills and keep up to date with international best practice.
Learning together we make the difference to people's lives. Our accredited courses are created by and for people from the disability and human services sector.
Our Social Care courses include:
- BA in Social Care (CORU approved, Level 7)
- BA (Hons) in Applied Social Studies (Disability Service Management) (Level 8)
- BA in Contemporary Disability Studies (Level 7)
- Certificate in Supported Employment (Level 7)
- Certificate in Autism, Wellbeing and Positive Behaviour Supports (Special Purpose Award, Level 7)
- Certificate in Intellectual Disability Practice (Level 5)
Video: Reasons for choosing a Social Care degree course
Our Management courses include:
- Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) (Level 6)
- Higher Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) (Level 6)
- BA in Applied Management (Human Services) (Level 7)
Video: Reasons for choosing the management course
Our CPD (Continuous Professional Development) short courses include:
- Certificate in Training and Development (Level 6)
- Certificate in Key Management Skills (Fast Track* management module Level 6)
- Certificate in Managing Service Quality and Safeguarding (Fast Track* management module Level 6)
- Certificate in Managing for Regulation and Inspection (Level 6)
- Certificate in Focus on the Individual: Person Centred Planning (Level 6)
- Certificate in Supporting Individualised Living (Level 8)
- Certificate in Supporting and Working with Families (Level 7)
CPD short courses can be accessed in two ways. Either for information only purposes, or, for information and assessment purposes. For example, information only means accessing content via our hard copy modules and attending a skills workshop. Or, students can access the learning materials with a view to completing an assignment and earning credits in that area of study. This option includes undertaking elearning and tutor supports on route to submitting an assignment or sitting an exam.
*St Michael's House require students of the KMS and MSQ modules to continue their studies in management with the SMH OTC and complete the Certificate in Applied Management course (four modules) in order to obtain the required qualification for PICs and equivalent.
How to Apply
The OTC uses an online application process for staff wishing to apply to our social care, management or CPD courses.
Please follow the link to the Online Application Centre where applicants can input personal details and pay fees.
Open Training College, Willowfield Park, Goatstown, Dublin 14, D14 P9E4
Tel: 01-2988544 Mobile: 086 0756580 (Business Hours: 9am to 5pm only)