The Open Training College
The Open Training College (OTC) is a division of St. Michael’s House providing training for staff and managers throughout Ireland working in the field of disability and the wider non-profit/voluntary/human services sectors.
Celebrating over 25 years of delivering education and training solutions to the health sector, the OTC offers a range of Further Education and Higher Education courses up to honours degree level.
The OTC provides students with options to acquire qualifications on a part-time basis through distance education, skills workshops/seminars, one-to-one tutorials and many more resources supported by a virtual learning environment, MyOTC.
We help people to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to deliver better services.
Further Education and Higher Education Courses
The College is unique in that all its courses are designed and structured to reflect the needs of staff working in the area of disability or the wider human services sector enabling them to acquire new skills and keep up to date with international best practice.
Learning together we make the difference to people's lives. Our accredited courses are created by and for people from the disability and human services sector.
Our Social Care courses include:
- BA in Professional Social Care (Disability) – Level 7
- Honours BA in Professional Social Care (Disability) – Level 8
- Certificate in Supported Employment (Level 7)
- Skills for Positive Behaviour Supports (Level 5)
- Certificate in Intellectual Disability Practice (Level 5)
Our Management courses include:
- Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) – Level 6
- Higher Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services) – Level 6
- BA in Applied Management (Non-Profit/Human Services) – Level 7
- Certificate in Training and Development (Level 6)
- Key Management Skills (Level 6)
- Managing for Regulations and Inspection (Level 6)
- Certificate in Focus on the Individual: Person Centred Planning (Level 6)
- Certificate in Supporting Individualised Living (Level 8)
- Certificate in Supporting and Working with Families (Level 7)
CPD short courses can be accessed in two ways. Either for information only purposes, or, for information and assessment purposes. For example, information only means accessing content via our hard copy modules and attending a skills workshops. Or, students can access the learning materials with a view to completing an assignment and earning credits in that area of study. This option includes undertaking elearning and tutor supports on route to submitting an assignment or sitting an exam.
How to Apply
The OTC uses an online application process for staff wishing to apply to our social care, management or CPD courses. Please follow the link to the Online Application Centre where applicants can input personal details and pay fees.