Ways to Donate

How to donate

Johnny Giles presents Soccerex Bus to Sallowood Unit

Other ways to Donate

1. Post a cheque, bank draft or postal order

Made payable to: 

St. Michael’s House
Ballymun Rd
Dublin 9, D09 DX37

2. Donate By Bank Transfer

You can make a donation by lodging directly to our bank account:

St. Michael’s House
Current Account
AIB University Branch,
Dublin 14

IBAN: IE70AIBK93118710190354
Sort code 931187 Account number 10190354

N.B. REFERENCE YOUR NAME & email us at fundraising@smh.ie to let us know the details of your bank transfer donation – this is so we track your donation & thank you for your kindness

3. Set up a regular direct debit

By completing this Direct Debit Form and returning this to us.

4. Wedding Favours

You can donate to our services as your wedding favours on your wedding day. More information in our Fundraising Events.

5.Leaving a Legacy

Find out more about Leaving a Legacy.

Taxpayer Giving

1 (1)

If you donated or plan to donate €250 (€21/month) or more in a calendar year, St. Michael’s House can claim an extra 45% from Revenue towards our services.

We require a completed CHY3 Form returned to our offices and we will submit this in our annual claim to Revenue. Only charities can seek this refund.

Questions you may have on how it works

What is the benefit?

Up to 45%! For example if you donate €250, St. Michael’s House can claim an extra €112.25 from Revenue, making your donation worth €362.25.

What donations are eligible?

If you are a taxpayer (self-employed, PAYE or joint-assessed) the donations you make to a charity can be eligible for a refund from Revenue – but only by the charity. You cannot claim the tax yourself.

I am self-employed, can I claim it myself?

Not anymore. Since 2013 self-employed people can no longer claim tax relief. Only charitable organisations can claim it on their behalf.

Does signing the form cost me anything?

Signing the CHY3 Good Form will not cost you a cent or impact your personal tax situation.

How much tax do I/my partner need to have paid to make my donation eligible?

You don’t need to be working full time or be paying a large amount of tax. Often, people pay tax on other forms of income such as a pensions, social welfare payments and investments etc. For example, if you donated €250 the tax rebate would be €112, so you would only need to have paid €112 in tax in the whole year.

What information do we need on the form?

If your donations are eligible for taxback, all we need is your PPS number, name and address and the date when your donations were made. If you are ‘associated’ with St. Michael’s House you will need to tick the relevant box.

Young Adult attending Sports DayWhat does ‘associated’ with the approved body (i.e. St. Michael’s House charity) mean?

You do not need to tick this box unless you are an employee or board member of St. Michael’s House. Donors and volunteers are not considered as being ‘associated’ with St. Michael’s House.

Do I have to share my tax details?

You don’t need to tell us how much you earn or what tax rate you pay. All we need is your PPS number which we retain securely for the purpose of submitting an end of year claim to Revenue from all donations received over €250 only. Revenue requires PPS numbers to calculate the value of the refund on donations which they deem to be eligible. We comply with data protection regulations.

Will I have to donate for 5 years if I sign the CHY3 Good Form?

No. Signing the CHY3 Good Form simply means that if you choose to support us during the next 5 years we can claim the tax back without asking you to sign another form; saving postage and admin time. However, if you would prefer not to sign the 5 year form you can complete an annual CHY4 form, valid for 1 year – just let us know and we can send you this.

What if I support more than one charity?

Each charity can claim the tax relief and Revenue will do the calculation, allocating the refund depending on how much tax you paid during the year.

We hope this will help to answer any questions you may have about the Charity Tax Rebate Scheme. The official notes provided by Revenue are with your CHY3 form and will provide you with additional information and below is an extract from Taxback.com.

Tax position – Ireland from 1st Jan 2013

‘With effect from 1 January 2013, the tax back position has changed and in fact the scheme for relief for charitable donations has been simplified considerably. There will no longer be any distinction between PAYE taxpayers and Self-Assessed taxpayers and the relief in respect of charitable donations will in all cases be refunded to the charity.

Relief will now be granted at the new blended rate of 31% rather than 20% or 41% as above. An annual limit of €1million per individual that can be donated under the scheme is also being introduced.

Charities will be required to obtain certificates from their donors confirming their PPS numbers, the eligibility of the donation and the fact that the tax they will pay for the year will be at least equal to the relief due to the charity. As part of the simplification process, provision is being made for an enduring certificate (CHY3 Good Form) which will last for up to five years and can be completed by a donor in lieu of an annual certificate.’

Reference: TaxBack.com

Download your form here

Thank you… together we are helping make a difference.

Got a question?

Please ring or email any member of our Fundraising Department at any time.